Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Reclaimed glass blocks with mortar-covering tabs

Old 07-15-18, 08:30 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am about to make a small glass block window in a remodeled master bath using reclaimed glass block from our local recycling store. Unlike most glass blocks, these old ones have tabs on two sides. The only practical application for them that I can see is to render the mortar joints in one direction invisible by covering them.

So, we have decided to install them so that only the vertical mortar joints are visible, and the horizontal joints will be covered by these tabs. What that means, practically, is that I believe that I must install the bottom course with a shim on one side (in order to create a plum installation), and trim all of the spacers that I use so that they will have only vertical components. (The glass tabs on the tiles don't allow room for the horizontal part of the spacers.) And I probably need a corresponding shim at the top.

Has anyone ever encountered this sort of block, and is there anything else that I should know before I start?

Old 07-16-18, 02:03 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I believe the tabs are used as spacers so the mortar joint is consistant thickness, is that how you are planning to install?

Old 07-16-18, 03:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I've never seen a glass block that comes out if the box with any kind of tab, unless you have something that is acrylic instead of glass. A picture of what you have might help if we could see it.

Old 07-16-18, 05:00 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
These are reclaimed (used) glass block from a recycle place. Who knows how and where they were used?
I agree, I would like to see a picture of the block and where are you using them.

Old 07-16-18, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Here are instructions how to post pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: