Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How to frame in floor to ceiling closet for 80-inch standard-size door

Old 07-30-18, 09:46 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a bath closet open from floor to ceiling, 8 feet. I want to close it in at the top and go with a standard 80 inch door.

It used to have a floor to ceiling plywood door I am replacing. The stud framing for the closet are turned sideways.

Any suggestions for how to frame it in at the top and for securing a standard size solid wood core door to studs turned sideways (only 1.5" of wood facing the door frame).

Since it is just a closet door it won't be getting a lot of heavy use. I figure if I am careful where I nail, I should be OK.

Pix are attached showing the hole for the closet and the framing for the closet. Again, thanks for any advice.

Attached Images   
Old 07-31-18, 04:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It would help if you told us how wide the closet door opening is, from drywall to drywall inside.

Old 07-31-18, 05:23 AM
I
About 20.5 inches wide is the closet width.

Old 07-31-18, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Here is an example of a door that would fit right into that opening. (You would need to use pairs of tapered shims on each side as you fit it into place between the existing drywall. Then long finish screws to hit your studs to secure it) This is just the slab, but you can get it as a prehung.

You would not need any framing on the sides... only the part that will be above the door. So above the door, just put a 2x4 on each side... fit a 2x4 between them on top and bottom... bottom edge of that framing should be about 82" above ff (finish floor) or actually you should probably match the door that is going to be right next to it. That way the trim will line up perfectly and not be offset.

Old 08-02-18, 09:37 PM
I
Thanks Xsleeper. That is kind of what I was thinking. Then drywall, tape, mud, texture and paint the framed area above the door.

Mostly I wasn't sure if the sideways studs for the closet would offer enough "meat" to screw in the new door frame....4.5 inch door frame into 1.5 inch stud.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: