Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Double hung ranch style windows from about 1971?

Old 08-29-18, 05:23 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have wooden windows from a 1971 small ranch house.

They're very simple style windows with an upper and lower sash and each sash has 2 panes of glass divided horizontally.

They have aluminum jamb or runners or whatever you call them where the windows glide up and down and I believe they don't have and sash weights or pulleys.

Is this a common window for that era?

Has anyone ever seen aluminum jambs or no pulleys etc? Just wondering as I'm new to windows, but I like the idea of keeping my wooden windows and restoring them and such.

Old 08-29-18, 05:54 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Thermal panes were beginning to become popular at about that time. What you have is not unusual but it;s not energy efficient. If you don't want to spend the money for new windows then at least consider triple track storms. Maintaining old all wood windows is time consuming and requires regular or periodic maintenance. More power to you if you decide to go that route.

Old 08-29-18, 06:55 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Those old style windows have no seal behind that aluminum strip and are just stapled in place so they leak outside air.
All the ones I've replace with new replacement vinyl windows the home owners are saying there saving about 25% on energy costs, easier to clean the inside and outside of the window and there's 0 maintaince.

Old 08-29-18, 08:09 PM
B
I do have permanent storms on all the windows. Does that make a difference? We also don't spend much on heating and the house is warm in the winter. It's also only 1000 sf one level house.

Old 08-29-18, 08:49 PM
B
Originally Posted by Norm201
Thermal panes were beginning to become popular at about that time. What you have is not unusual but it;s not energy efficient. If you don't want to spend the money for new windows then at least consider triple track storms. Maintaining old all wood windows is time consuming and requires regular or periodic maintenance. More power to you if you decide to go that route.
I have triple track from the 70's on all windows. I'm assuming since the house was built in 71, but they may be from later. They're aluminum I think.

Old 08-29-18, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There are several kinds of aluminum track double hung windows... yes it's common for that era. Can't tell you much more than that without a picture so we can see exactly what type you have.

Old 08-30-18, 07:19 PM
B
Originally Posted by XSleeper
There are several kinds of aluminum track double hung windows... yes it's common for that era. Can't tell you much more than that without a picture so we can see exactly what type you have.
It says I've reached my quota for attachments? I can't post pictures anymore?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: