Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Is there any value to old single pane windows with permanent storms?

Old 09-14-18, 10:37 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I was thinking in the future of replacing all the single pane double hung windows on my 1971 tiny ranch house, but don't know if it is "worth it". I have all permanent aluminum storm windows on them, etc.

The nice thing is that I think I heard that wood windows "last forever", but I realize there's maintenance of course. I do like the idea of being able to "fix" them, etc and the house doesn't take much to heat being that it's only about 900 sf really.

Would it be advisable to get all new replacement windows or should I just keep the single pane with aluminum storms?

Old 09-14-18, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If, IF, they are in good shape, well maintained, well weatherstripped, etc, etc, wood windows and storms are a very viable alternative to your typical replacement windows. In some ways they are better. You never need to worry about a seal failing and fogging the sash. Glass is easier to replace if broken somehow. The visible glass area is typically larger. Depending on your location..vinyl replacements can warp and discolor with the sun and heat. Replacements typically have a looser "fit", often allowing drafts.

Now these are replacements that are typically installed. If you get into the upper price ranges (like Renewal by Andersen) they don't have the same issues and are very efficient...but the payback in energy savings in commensurately long, though comfort and low maintenance are immediate.

My opinion....

Old 09-15-18, 12:16 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
If, IF, they are in good shape, well maintained, well weatherstripped, etc, etc, wood windows and storms are a very viable alternative to your typical replacement windows. In some ways they are better. You never need to worry about a seal failing and fogging the sash. Glass is easier to replace if broken somehow. The visible glass area is typically larger. Depending on your location..vinyl replacements can warp and discolor with the sun and heat. Replacements typically have a looser "fit", often allowing drafts.

Now these are replacements that are typically installed. If you get into the upper price ranges (like Renewal by Andersen) they don't have the same issues and are very efficient...but the payback in energy savings in commensurately long, though comfort and low maintenance are immediate.

My opinion....
Yeah, I think i've decided that it's better to keep the wood plus storms. I read that replacement are jokingly called "replacement" windows because you have to replace them a lot sooner than 20 years, etc.

My wooden windows should last at least till I'm dead.

Old 09-15-18, 02:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The biggest drawback with the original windows is the lack of insulation around the window frame and you could remove the window casing on the interior to rectify that. Most of my windows are single pane with storm windows. I have no plans to replace any of them.

Old 09-15-18, 03:41 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Vic stated it in a way that is spot on. I had triple trac storm windows for over 30 years on my home and the double hungs were well maintained. We recently went to Renewal by Anderson. The only real advantage to getting inserts or thermo panes is the no need for maintenance. I currently have a Peachtree sliding glass patio door. Original build. I installed a sliding storm door on this unit as son as I moved in. That was over 30 years ago. I am perhaps the only one in my neighborhood who has not needed to replace the door. I am thinking about a replacement at this time.

Old 09-15-18, 04:24 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
There are opportunities that can justify replacing those windows, like installing new siding but otherwise they are doing fine. If this is a forever home then you estimate how long you will be there and if the current windows will need to be replaced before you die. Then it might make sense to make the change so YOU get to enjoy the new windows instead of the next owner.

Basically a comfort and convenience issue.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: