Filling gaps and window stop trim

Old 10-20-18, 08:22 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling gaps and window stop trim

I finally gathered the courage to replace a window. After removing the stool I noticed there was a fairly big gap where you can see light coming thru the exterior chalking and widow spacer. Would my best bet be to use spray foam to fill that gap? Using insinuation makes no sense as not only is the gap too small but the insulation itself would lose its purpose to work properly having to force it in?

In the pic of the top of the window where the top of the frame meets the drywall. Would it be recommended to fill that gap with spray foam even though its above the rough opening? The gaps on the side seem too small to use anything. Another concern when I replace the other windows is have no intentions on removing the stool as I dont want to do any additional trim work. How would one fill that gap without removing the stool? Only thing I could think would be to stick a piece of insulation (if so what kind) under the window before installing it. Also Is that vinyl top cap filler piece really necessary with a gap that small? To me it seems pointless when having a gap that small and it doesn't look appealing to the eye.

My last question is about the window stop trim. Made the mistake of tearing off all the trim to redo it to my liking which I regret now as I cannot find the same profile of original stop trim nor does anything from the local store fit like the original. I can do basic trim but cutting the stool properly has turned out to be a challenge task as I'm on my 3rd try right now.

I'm only removing the window stop trim when replacing the other windows. I also used the wrong kind of chalking which I now realize. While it's been a little frustrating, I actually enjoyed it other than that stool trim which I want to smash into a million pieces.

Any help, tips, tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-18, 08:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
The gaps you have are really too small for spray foam, it's best used between the window frame and the framing [2x4] and even then you need to make sure you use it sparingly because if it expands too much it can affect the window's operation. I'd fill it with caulk.

Old 10-20-18, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Caulk and trim. Please God, no spray foam.