Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Shower slider window - which panel should be operable?

Old 11-02-18, 11:33 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I have a small horizontal slider in my master bath shower, on the wall that is the long direction of the shower. The window is near the top of the shower - the bottom of the window opening is above eye level. Currently the operable panel is the one farther away from the shower head.

I'm looking at a proposal for replacement windows, and for this window, they've specified the other panel as being the operable panel (the one closer to the shower head) Is one side considered better than the other to be the operable panel? Since the locking mechanism for the new window is in the middle, it's easier to open when you're standing away from the shower head if the operable panel is the one closer to the shower head. With the old window, the locking mechanism was on the edge of the window, so when you're standing away from the shower head, it was easier if the more distant panel was the operable panel.

So in a way it sort of makes sense that they switched the operable panel, if the only consideration was ease of opening while you're in the shower. But I'm wondering if having the opening closer vs farther from the shower head is also a consideration.

Old 11-02-18, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Which sash is most likely to get wet? (Like splashing off your head when you wash your hair) I'd imagine its the one closest to the shower head. When the operable panel is closest, water that might deflect onto the glass would likely have a better chance of running off the glass without getting into the track... because the opeating sash sits in the front track.

But when the operating panel is farthest away from the shower head, any water that splashes is going to hit the fixed outer panel, and then puddle in the track.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: