Need New Window advice

Old 11-24-18, 07:07 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need New Window advice

Hi All,
could really use some new window advice. We are installing new construction Milgard windows in existing stucco (Milgard did not offer replacement windows for the model we wanted). The crew that is doing the rest of the remodeling (framing, plumbing etc) installed the windows and I have my concerns. I've attached photos. My concern is that they had to recreate the window framing which is probably a good thing. My concern is that they did not shim the window before inserting and the new window is resting directly on the bottom rough opening. Everything I've since read indicates that this is not the proper way to install. Correct? We are in southern california and the window is under an overhang but still want it done right. Comments/ feedback? And if this is not the optimum way should I remove and start over? Thanks so much!!

Attached Images    
Old 11-24-18, 07:20 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Normally they are shimmed but that is usually because the rough opening is lager to accommodate the window,

What kind of gap exists on other sides?

Does the window open correctly, is it level and square?

Old 11-24-18, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Having installed windows for the majority of my career, I can honestly say that is not a big deal. The main thing is that the window is level and plumb.

If you were in a very cold climate, an argument could be made that the window should have been shimmed up so that you could insulate all the way around the window. But in southern California, that would be the least of my worries.

You would definitely not remove the window and start over just because of no shims under the window.

Old 11-24-18, 07:31 AM
I
they had the "convenience" to build the new frame with the new window in front of them so the left, right and bottom fits snug with the top about a 1/4 inch gap. The "window sill" will be sheetrock so I guess we will need to get 1/4 sheetrock for the window sill which will reduce the window frame reveal 1/4" which does not make me thrilled but could probably live with that.

And yes the window opens correctly and it is level and square... Thanks.

Old 11-24-18, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
If it's getting drywall returns, why does the bottom picture have wood jamb and trim?

And to make the reveals perfectly equal with the window you pretty much always have to shim the rough opening before you drywall. (And you can't count on the drywallers to do this... they aren't finish carpenters.) You rarely -if ever- have the exact same size shim on all sides of a window. You shim the rough opening as needed and use 1/2" drywall everywhere. So in your case you would shim 3 sides out 1/4 before putting on 1/2" drywall.

Old 11-24-18, 07:42 AM
I
>If it's getting drywall returns, why does the bottom picture have wood jamb and trim?
I believe the next step was for them to install 1/4" sheetrock directly on the new woodjamb and finish with a metal corner so the sheetrock is seemless with the wall.

>So in your case you would shim 3 sides out 1/4 before putting on 1/2" drywall. How would we shim this window if already installed and abutting with the rough opening without reseating?

Old 11-24-18, 08:53 AM
I
One more question on this install is I did not see them placing any adhesive/ caulking in between the flashing and the new window frame when inserting. Is this step required? thank you so much for the answers...

Old 11-24-18, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Oh I see. I was looking at the photo incorrectly. Those are drywall shims that are already stapled on there. Usually an adhesive membrane can be applied over the fin outside in lieu of caulking. Thinks in Cali are often done differently due to the climate.

Old 11-25-18, 06:21 AM
I
Thanks for the comments. We finished off the sheet rock yesterday and it looks great. based on this feedback I'm now feeling better that it was done right as well (at least for an installation in so california...)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: