interior door with glass panels; questions.

Old 12-05-18, 02:24 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
interior door with glass panels; questions.

I want to put sliding or french style glass panel doors between our living room and family room. I want glass so I can keep an eye on the little ones and our house has very poor natural lighting. I would hate to make rooms darker.

However my main reason for putting in doors is to lower the noise while they watching TV.

Would "just" glass panel doors lower the sound much? Enough to make this project worth it? I know the answers may be vague unless anyone is an environmental noise pollution expert. But hopefully some ideas?

Old 12-05-18, 02:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It should help some as it would deflect some of the noise.

Old 12-05-18, 02:55 PM
B
Thanks, at least a somewhat positive reply. So many of my home improvement ideas turn out to be impossible dreams!

Old 12-05-18, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Glass and doors will have a STC rating (sound transmission class). You can make choices (when choosing what options to buy) that will improve the STC, but they will by no means be sound proof. And any glass will reduce the VT (visible light transmittance) slightly, making it darker than if there was no glass there.

Old 12-05-18, 04:29 PM
B
Thanks, I will ask the "door" guy if I have an option for the STC rating. Great help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: