8' closet opening, Should be simple right?

Old 12-15-18, 07:15 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow 8' closet opening, Should be simple right?

I have what seems to be a simple problem, but is causing me quite a headache.

We have a new home, where the master bedroom closet is exactly 8ft wide from trim to trim. The previous owners had a 2 track sliding door system that was terrible, no one could get into the closet more than 36" at a time.

The solutions seem to be
  • Buy 48" bifolds - which i can only find in super cheap veneer at lowes/HD.
  • Buy a $200 johnson hardware 3 door track system that doesn't include the cost of doors
  • Put a 2x4/drywall spacer in the middle of the closet to break it up and put 36" bifolds in. I don't want to do this because I want access to the middle of the closet, and I am also not sure how to make it look nice with existing trim.
Are there any other options here? Are 8ft closets such an oddity?

Attached Images   
Old 12-16-18, 02:17 AM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
It looks like the original doors were on the same track, if that is what you are referring too that would seem to be the easiest solution.

8' closets are not that unusual, one of ours is close to that size!

Old 12-16-18, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,327 Votes on 1,226 Posts
I just removed a three door track system from sisters condo. Her's had several issues. When the door was framed..... they used a single 2x4 over the closet and it was bowing. They used very good almost solid wood doors that were heavy and pulling the wall down. The depth of the multiple doors took up too much room and hit her clothes.
I ended up hanging fancy curtains in front of the opening that can be completely opened.

Old 12-16-18, 04:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
In my house I framed it to accept two standard hinged doors. The closet is continuous so the small bit in the center can be accessed from either side. As for the trim... replace it as needed.

Old 12-16-18, 04:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pete - My wife and I are thinking about resorting to curtains too. Does it looks nice?

Pilot D, are they 48" doors? That is getting into custom territory isn't it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: