Exterior window caulking in winter

Old 01-05-19, 12:30 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior window caulking in winter

Hi. So the caulking around the the bottom of a couple big windows definitely needs to be redone outside. I'd preferably like to leave doing the job until the warmer months, as there's snow and rain and freezing cold on and off all the time now and less room for error and clear days to do the work. I was wondering if there was anything I can put on the exterior to get me through the winter? Tape? A temporary sealant?
I was hoping for some alternative to having to remove the rest of the old caulking and find a type of caulking that I can use in the winter and that's easily available in Canada. As I've said the weather's not good and I don't want to make a mistake and make the leak worse and not be able to fix it because it's wet out. I'm also not sure what the old caulking is made of, silicone, etc.. So I'm not sure what alternative options I have that could adhere over it if any.
If my only choice is to redo the caulking then is there any brand you would recommend for use in winter, outside, that are easily available in Canada?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-05-19, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Can't tell you what's available in Canada as I've never been there... but look for OSI Quad or some other type of advanced polyurethane sealant. I assume you want white but most good window and siding caulking is available in most popular colors.

Old 01-09-19, 11:48 AM
B
Thanks for the reply. It is available at my local store! So is it caulking then? Do I have to remove the old stuff first and put this on, or can I put it directly over the old caulking, (which I'm not sure of the type of, could be silicone). Is this a temporary thing and I should then do the job more permanently in the warmer months with another type of caulk, or is this good for a few years? Thanks again. It really is appreciated.

Old 01-09-19, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It is always best to remove the old first. No this is not a temporary caulk... it's very permanent so do a nice job. It is all weather so the temperature doesn't matter. Just be sure the surface is clean. Wiping with a rag and denatured alcohol never hurts.

Old 01-18-19, 12:19 PM
B
I see, so it is normal caulk. So I'd apply it just like any other caulking brand and use either a gloved finger or depressor to smooth it at the end? I'm just asking cause I'm looking at going with the clear, (Lepage Quad advanced formula sealant clear) that looks almost like a gel. Also, is rubbing alcohol fine or is denatured a must. Thanks again, you've been TREMENDOUSLY helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: