Replacing basement window

Old 03-01-19, 03:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing basement window

I have a steel frame window set into concrete wall (not block).... The frame is like the one in this video... https://youtu.be/J7Ob3d4GHG0?t=67 but it is in block. Would mine come out as easily as this one being it was set in concrete. I would assume it was set in place, then the concrete poured around it so my fear is it would be much harder to remove. I'm wanting to replace the windows and do it myself. I don't want to do what this video did and make a huge egress window. Just replacing what is there. They are all rough 32x24 ish. Thanks.

Old 03-01-19, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I wouldn't say it's easy. You remove the sash first (the part that operates) then I usually will pry the top down and cut it in half with a grinder. The sides and bottom are often harder to pry loose due to being embedded in concrete, but I will still try to pry them out (big wrecking bar) or cut them in half with a Sawzall or grinder, weakening the frame. Beating on them with a 3lb hammer helps loosen the frame up too.

You also need to be somewhat careful to preserve the concrete around the opening since that is going to be the finish opening for your window. Every once in a while you get one that turns into a disaster. Depends on the quality of the concrete and the shape that the window opening is in.

A 4 1/2" cup wheel on a grinder is usually a must have, in order to smooth out any rough concrete left around the opening.

Old 03-01-19, 08:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I've pulled out a set of windows identical to that, easy, well it's a relative term.

I didn't cut, just pried the bottom and sides with big crow bars. Once you get under the edges and get the frame bent they fall out.

No signification damage to the concrete, I added glass block so everything was covered up when complete!

Old 03-01-19, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Some are easier than others. However some have a flange that is embedded in concrete and they are a real PITA. Not only are they stuck in the concrete but they don't want to bend until you cut the frame. There are many kinds of iron frame windows, so while they may all look alike on the surface they definitely aren't. The good news is that having removed and installed probably 500 of them in my lifetime, I haven't had one that has beat me yet. LOL

Old 03-04-19, 03:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks and maybe I’ll try

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. I really want to try this on my own. The custom window company groups want $600+ per window to make a window that fits inside these iron frames. I can get decent windows ordered to size from places like menards for $100 each. I’ve installed windows before, just never dealt with basement windows or windows in concrete openings. It would be a learning curve, but as long as the concrete didn’t get destroyed while removing I hope to be okay. Thanks again.

Old 03-04-19, 06:23 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Take a look at glass blocks, they make them in pre formed sizes and after the frame is removed they just need some mortar to finish them in!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: