Replacement sash measurements

Old 04-12-19, 10:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement sash measurements

Hi all,
I have two windows that need replacement (just the glass, not the entire window). These are double-hung, wood, tilt-in. The glass replacement cost is extraordinarily high (double-pane priced by glass doctor). However, I have a reasonable price for lower sashes (about $91 each) from Plygem (who now owns the original window manufacturer - MW Windows). My problem is understanding the sash measurements. I have measured the sash frames as 30 and 5/8 by 37 and 7/8 with the 2nd being 30 and 5/8 X 31 and 15/16. However, it appears the closest replacement for the larger sash is 38.040 inches high.
Question for the forum - how much tolerance do I have on these measurements? It looks to me like the sash lock on the lower sash won't meet the lock on the upper sash properly if the sash if 38" tall. Any thoughts or input appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by blgjr; 04-12-19 at 10:37 AM. Reason: changed "tilt-out" to "tilt-in"
Old 04-12-19, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No idea, you will need to sort that out with the mfg.

Old 05-05-19, 09:38 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I order Andersen from Windowparts.com. Website gives detailed instructions for measurement for sashes they carry. Not a big deal to order custom. Builders rarely do custom since it costs more and introduces delivery/installation complexity. If you are coming up with odd numbers, I would suspect you are measuring wrong. I have a custom site built house and all my windows still come out as round numbers (e.g. 2'x3', 20"x40" etc). Sashes are designed to fit a specific type of frame so it is important to follow manufacturer's measurement conventions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: