Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Existing SGD has metal frame surrounding it??

Old 06-02-19, 07:59 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts

Replacing a sgd, as I deconstruct it I've found that the old door looks to have been installed into a metal frame mounted flat to the studs. It looks like from the inside there is a J channel for the drywall built into it. Is this common?

My experience w/sgds (just a few) are ones that have a nailing flange you nail from the outside onto the studs. You then trim the inside to cover up the depths of the wall.

I haven't removed the stucco from the outside any idea if this metal frame encloses the studs? I'm guessing this has something to do with allowing the builder let the trades work on the house w/o the glass actually installed.

Edit. The metal frame is not part of the sgd frame. I pry open and can see between the sgd frame and metal and see installation nails.

Old 06-02-19, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it. Almost sounds like you had a retrofit sgd inside an old sgd frame.

Old 06-02-19, 08:29 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
No, original owner of the house. I tried taking pictures but the space is so narrow you can't really make anything out. I was able to bend the frame of the sgd more and open up a narrow gap and I can see the house paper wrapping around the metal frame on the outside. I can tap though the gap to what feels like a flange on the outside So it's looking like the metal frame was put up to allow the drywallers to continue to work without the windows/door being installed.

I've just never run into this before but I'm guessing it might be more common with production homes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: