New Window installed - Way too bright

Old 06-28-19, 08:19 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Window installed - Way too bright

Just had 2 double hung windows installed. Look gorgeous, eliminated alot of heat transfer.
But It is so bright! I had window tint on my old windows and really miss it. I have sensative eyes and it's really helpful with snow on the ground, and also in the summer.

Supposedly voids the warranty to apply any tint film.

What can I do? Can I apply tint to the outside of the glass? Don't the manufacturers do that?
Windows have a full screen. Is there a screen that I can replace to block so much light transfer?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-19, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Yes, you could replace the screen with a darker shade screen. You could also have a tinter tint your glass, window warranties aren't that much good anyway. LOL The tint goes inside generally.

Old 06-29-19, 03:09 AM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
I certainly don't see how, or why, having film on the window could cause issues, but even if you had it on and needed to remove for whatever reason, it peels right off!

Old 06-29-19, 03:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I have applied perforated vinyl to some of the windows on my home. In my case it was the sun reflecting off the outside of the windows burning/killing the grass. You can order it online or get it from sign shops or places that do vinyl wraps on cars. The film is often used to cover taxi's and busses with advertising and they put signs on fast food restaurant windows with it. I just used the plain, unprinted film which is white on the outside and black on the inside so it's mostly not visible from the inside unless you get close to the window. Unlike an interior window tint this blocks the sun on the outside so you don't have heat buildup issues with the window. The big drawback is if you don't want your window to look like it's been painted white on the outside. If that's a problem I'd look into window tinting film, blinds or curtains.

I have film applied to the inside of some south facing windows which have all the energy efficiency sprinkles and have had no trouble and it's been on there for over 10 years. The film I have is mainly to block UV so it lets most of the visible light through but it still knocks the brightness down by about 10% but you can always get a darkening tint.

Old 07-03-19, 03:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OP here again. (Finally found my post).
Good idea, Pilot.
But reading the lifetime transferable warranty, am not to apply anything to the glass, inside or outside. Except factory applied. And can't add a storm window. (heat buildup)

One suggestion I had was to use black spray paint to the inner side of the screen. Will make the 'holes' smaller. Less light in, but diminished view out.
Maybe a darker tinted screen.

Seems stoopid that I can have a curtain or drapes on the inside that reflect, but can't have film on the outside of the glass that reflects heat before the sun hits the glass.

Searching online, I found curtains that have a thin aluminum coating. Altho that doesn't do much for my problem.
I might try the painted screen trick. Probably on another window first tho.

I'll ask the wdo company (whenever) they call me back.

Old 07-03-19, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
You can just hang some sheer cafe's on a tension rod. Easy solution.

Old 07-04-19, 04:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
Instead of painting traditional window screen I would install heavy duty screen or sun blocking screen. It's common in southern regions and it's specs tell you how much open area it has or how much light it blocks.

I have roll up sun blocking shades/screens on my screened porch. I choose a screen that blocks 95% and only allows 5% of light through which is good if blocking the sun is your primary concern. You can see through it but not with great detail. Something blocking 70-80% would be good if you just want to knock down the brightness but still be able to see out pretty well.

Old 07-04-19, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Good idea.