Non-standard Hinge and Strike Locations

Old 07-08-19, 08:59 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Non-standard Hinge and Strike Locations

I want to replace my front door slab and I'm having difficulty finding a door with the same hinge and strike locations. I purchased the door (pre-hung) from Lowe's within the past 10 years and all of the doors they carry are not the same as mine. I've already spoken with the manufacturer (Masonite), and they said the hinge and strike locations on their doors haven't changed. They said that it's possible Lowe's used some other wholesaler to supply their Masonite doors, which cut the hinges and strike at these locations, which differ from theirs. Assuming that's the case, should Lowe's know who this wholesaler is/was that they used nearly 10 years ago? Door size is 36" x 80".

I took the measurements of my door last night and could simply provide them for a custom order, but I'd hate to be off my 1/16" and not have the door fit properly after having spent extra for a custom order. When measuring from the top of the door down, is the measurement to the actual hinge or the cutout for the hinge? And I believe the measurement to the door lock is from top of door to center, then 5-1/2" up from that measurement to the center of the dead bolt.

Here are the standard hinge and strike locations according to Masonite followed by my door.

Masonite Spec/My Spec
Top Hinge: 6-1/2" / 6-7/8"
Middle Hinge: 37-1/2" / 36-1/8"
Bottom Hinge: 68-1/2" / 65-3/8"
Dead Bolt: 40-3/8" / 38-5/8"
Lock Location: 45-7/8" / 44-1/8"

The Masonite hinge locations are spread out further than my Masonite door and the lock and deadbolt are lower as well.

Last edited by mossman; 07-08-19 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-08-19, 09:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Lowes has caught me several times with their changing vendors. Something you bought last month might not be interchangeable with what they carry this month.

If you don't get lucky and find the door you need you might have to get a blank door that has nothing cut out. Then you'd have to cut/route the mortises for the hinges and door knob.

Old 07-08-19, 10:01 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
That's irritating. I can place a custom order with the hinge locations specified for not much more than a non-custom door (surprisingly). I just need to triple check my measurements. I've found several charts online that list standard hinge locations for multiple manufacturers and none of them are even close. Something tells me this vendor did this intentionally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: