Casement window not closing all the way

Old 07-08-19, 09:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Casement window not closing all the way

We have Pella casement windows that need an adjustment as they don't close all the way. I thought all I need is a flat sash wrench to adjust the nut but our window model does not have the nut to loosen or tighten. Below is a video I took. Please let me know if there's a way to fix this problem. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuuyf2DNvvk

Old 07-08-19, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There is no "adjustment".

Number one, look to see if the temporary shipping blocks have been removed from the top and bottom corners. It's a little plastic block glued to the frame.

Second, would need a picture of the outside of the window when it's closed. If the window is out of square, the sash will appear to be sagging and it drags on the bottom.

Third, it might help if you cleaned both the sill of the window, and the weatherstripping on the sash. Wiping it down with some silicone spray so that it's clean and slick can help reduce friction. Examine the weatherstrip on the sash and see if there are dead bugs or cobwebs behind it, which might reduce clearance. Also clean the track that the pivots (hinge points) slide in. Often if you just crank the window closed faster, the inertia will help it close.

Old 07-09-19, 08:36 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much. I'll try it as you stated. Unfortunately I will not be able to take photos from the outside with the window closed because it's way up on the second floor.

Old 07-09-19, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I mainly want a picture of the side of the window when it is cranked open. Your arm should be long enough to take a picture of it from inside.

If you close it, you would need to be on a ladder for that one closeup picture of the bottom of the window.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: