Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing Glass in 1972 Non Working Pella Wood Frame Window

Old 07-08-19, 10:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a broken glass in an old, about 1972 Pella wood frame window, about 18" by 72". This is a non-working window at the top of a double height living room, made to match the casement windows on the first floor level. There's a separate storm window panel added later on the inside, so no rain comes into the room. Glass repair guy says entire window frame will have to be taken apart to replace the glass. Is this the customary way to repair this type of broken glass in a Pella window??

Old 07-08-19, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Generally with anything Pella its best to order a new sash from them. (Yes, they can make something that old, but it will cost you an arm and a leg. Be prepared for $900-1000). And you will likely destroy the sash if you attempt to take it apart. Of course, we are guessing with no photos of the sash. I've done windows for nearly 30 years and have replaced the glass in older Pella windows by carefully cutting off the interior quarter round perimeter of the sash and then replacing it after the glass is in with a little carpentry magic.

And I doubt the storm panel was added later, that is usually a common Pella feature if its got the pella logo on the glass.

In reality, your best bet would be to simply replace the entire window. I think that's the main reason they price replacement sashes so high.

Old 07-10-19, 10:54 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help. So I'm thinking I'd better get an estimate for replacing the window. There are three of them, set side by side. I hope I will only need to replace the one!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: