Trim interior door to fit

Old 08-20-19, 08:13 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trim interior door to fit

Interior door is dragging on the carpet so I want to trim approx. 3/4" off the bottom. I currently have a standard saw blade on my skill saw, would this be suitable for making the cut; if not, any suggestions on the type of blade. Also, should I lay a piece of tape along the bottom of the door and draw the cut line on the tape, seem to recall suggested in cutting plastic.

Comments/Suggestions appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-19, 08:18 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
What kind of door, hollow Masonite door?

Use a sharp but fine blade, couple wraps of wide masking tape can help chipping.

Use a good, sturdy straight edge then lightly sand the edge of the cut and if all goes well would not even need to paint!

Old 08-20-19, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
You need to use a fine finish carbide with a lot of teeth. The teeth will still tend to chip the top of the door as they come up out of the wood. So use a long square like a drywall square to score the top of the door with a utility knife. Score it as deep as you reasonably can. Then it usually helps to make yourself a rip guide. A piece of 1/4" plywood with a 3/4" guide fastened to it. You clamp this guide to the door, so your saw will sit on the 1/4" plywood and the saw will just follow the 3/4" guide.

Be sure your saw blade does not cut over the line that you scored. 1/16 away is good. That way you won't chip the door. After your cut is done, use a sander to bevel the bottom corners slightly as you sand up to your cut line.

it's possible you might need to glue a plug into the bottom of the door if it's a hollow core door.

Old 08-20-19, 08:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
it's possible you might need to glue a plug into the bottom of the door if it's a hollow core door.
That's what I was thinking. Typically the bottom strip of wood inside the door is only 1" tall.

Old 08-20-19, 08:57 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
I have done a few hollow interior doors. The guys pretty much nailed everything I would have suggested.

Definitely watch out for the plug at the bottom. Some doors I did only had a couple spots of glue shallow so when I cut almost the depth of the plug, the rest fell out. Expect to have to glue a new plug in

Old 08-20-19, 09:09 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As far as I know, it is a solid wood door, when it was installed seem to weigh a ton.

I want to thank U'all for the prompt response!!