Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Rotten window replacement with rotten framing

Old 09-08-19, 12:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My garage has 2 wood frame windows. One was completely rotted out so yesterday I removed it and some drywall so I could see the extent of the damage. And now I have a couple issues that need to be addressed.

1. The sill, a couple studs and the exterior osb are rotted out. How do I go about replacing these without removing all the siding from that wall (x90 I believe) or at least as little as possible.

2. When it was built there was no flashing tape or flashing used except for 1 piece of tin on top of the window, again this has to be addressed while hopefully removing as little as possible.

3. The RO measures 45 3/4 by 29 7/8 which I'm seeing is not a standard sized window. This is just my garage so I'd really like to not have to have custom windows built.

I have never done windows so dont assume I know exactly what your talking about. However I havent found a project I couldnt tackle yet, and if this goes well I have a few windows on the house that need to be done as well.

I will attach pictures of the damage.

Attached Images   
Old 09-08-19, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sorry, never heard of x90 siding and no pics of the outside so can't answer any of that. Siding obviously has to all come off if you want to replace the sheathing.

As far as the window is concerned, custom sizes are almost always best because they usually mean way less work and headaches. But if you have to redo all the siding and resize the opening anyway, then yeah, maybe it would make sense to get a stock / standard window. But every brand will be a little different size. You need to specify what you are looking for- matching other windows on the house? Wood? Vinyl?

Old 09-08-19, 01:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry I spent a good hour trying to upload a picture of the outside but it kept saying they were too large, even took different pictures. Its basically a wood like siding. I guess I was more hoping that there would be a way to safely remove the siding around the window without damaging it so it can be re used. Otherwise I'll have to reside everything as there will be no matching this.

the idea is to install new white vinyl windows which would match the house yes.

Old 09-08-19, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You generally want to change the setting of your camera to take the lowest quality picture possible. Then most people should resize their photos if they want to post them here. Personally I think it's easiest to just post a link to wherever you have photos hosted online.

Siding can usually be carefully removed but it's hard to say without knowing exactly what it is.

Siding has to come off in order to replace sheathing, and to apply a wrb. (Weather resistive barrier -housewrap, tyvek, felt paper, or similar) Window goes in next, with flashing tape. The window trim, such as vinyl brick mould around the window. Then siding goes back on last.

If you are doing vinyl windows I think you absolutely want a custom sized window, which is not unsusal at all, and is only slightly inconvenient because of the 3 or 4 week wait.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: