4-9/16" Jamb to 5-1/4" Exterior Door

Old 09-24-19, 10:26 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post 4-9/16" Jamb to 5-1/4" Exterior Door

I bought a service door for my garage at the orange big box store, the door jamb is 4-9/16". I'm finially getting around to installing it, luckily I noticed that the door that is in there now has a different jamb size.

It's a Phoenix area stucco home, it is a true stucco but a cheaper version - I've been doing a little online research and found that stucco should use a 5-1/4" door jamb but that I can add an extension to the exterior side of the frame.

Found a kit at Menards website that will add 11/16" and make it 5-1/4", can't find it locally, their site says it'll ship. I don't have a table saw, had to consolidate and only kept tools I regularly use.

My question is, I removed the interior trim, measuring from the the inside to the backside of the brickmoulding I'm getting measurements all over the place from 5-1/4" to 5-1/2". It's too tight in there to even get a mirror to look to see whats going on. I can't remove the exterior trim until it's time to replace, the trim is in bad shape and won't go back on if pulled.

I know this isn't exactly the best way to gauge things but I need to pre primer everything with a couple coats before installing. I really can't tear things apart and leave it open, it has to be done in one day so having everything ready is important. Doing it by myself so can't tear it out and leave to go get something I don't have on hand.

Anyone with experience with these types of homes, will 5-1/4" be enough? Is the wacky measurements just a variation in the stucco finish?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: