leaking near back door

Old 10-05-19, 05:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaking near back door

I have a back door that is leaking under the threshold and at the point where the sill (sole) plate meets the concrete foundation and it has rotted out the bottom 2 inches of the sill (sole) plate and I need to figure out how to repair the damage and prevent anymore water from coming in under the door. Cutting out the rotten 2 inches and replacing it is no big deal but I am trying to figure out if there is some type of tape that will bridge the gap between the wood and concrete and hold permanently. Any idea would help, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-19, 07:03 PM
M
Received 158 Votes on 145 Posts
Try waterproof self adhesive seal tape

Old 10-06-19, 06:33 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
It would be great if you could post a picture taken from the outside so we could see what your seeing.
No zoomed in close up needed.
By far the biggest issues I've had to deal with over 45 years of working on houses is someone has a deck, stoop, patio to close to the door threshold, it should always be a bare min. of at least 2", some codes call for 6".
#2, The door was just installed wrong, with no flashing under the threshold and up the sides of the rough opening, and no silicone under the threshold.
#3, Someone installed something on the face of the wall under the threshold to give it some support and it sits even or worst yet out past the threshold so it's acting like a funnel directing water toward wall.

Old 10-07-19, 06:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will try and post some pics soon, first I will answer some of your points about the door. 1st, the small concrete patio is 1 1/2 inches below the threshold. 2nd, there is no flashing under the threshold, or up the sides of the rough opening and no silicone under the threshold at all judging by the water that comes under it. 3rd, there is a ripped 2x4 under the threshold that supports it because it seems to overhang the concrete foundation by at least 1 1/2 inches or more. I had to cut out part of the jamb on one side that rotted out and now the side I didn't do has rotted out as well. The builders of this house cut so many corners and the only way I can sell is to spend a lot of money on repairs. I am going to have to replace the whole door and I want to figure out what I need to do when I get to that step. I will try to post pics tomorrow.