How to deal with gap in window trim piece

Old 10-07-19, 04:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to deal with gap in window trim piece

I'm repainting/recaulking around our bathroom window and noticed a pretty big gap where a horizontal piece of aluminum trim was cut too short (see pic). I was going to caulk around where the wood meets the aluminum, but the gap (about 5/16" x 1") is really too big to slop in a bunch of caulk if I want it to look nice. Any tricks for dealing with this? I'm not opposed to buying and cutting some new pieces--it just clips into some brackets that hold the window to the opening--but not sure what it's called. Any ideas appreciated.

(Ignore the cracks between the plaster and the wood, which will get repaired)

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-19, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
I'd suggest you center the piece that is cut too short so that you have an equal gap on both sides. Then caulk it with some dark bronze caulk that is also paintable. (Not silicone).

BTW, I would call that aluminum extrusion a "snap-in stop cover". You would probably have to buy it from whoever put the windows in. It was likely a commercial window or glass shop.

Old 10-08-19, 04:57 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
You could also install a small trim around the bronze metal inside the white wood that would cover the gap when centered as XS suggested!

Old 10-08-19, 11:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marq1, I thought of installing some trim--actually would probably install *over* the existing white pieces with a lip or something that returns to butt against the aluminum, which aren't in great shape. But one issue is that either the existing wood framing pieces or the window itself is out of plumb, since the edge of the wood that's revealed tapers on one side (so I'd have to taper that lip, if you follow).

But anyway, will probably take your and XSleeper's advice and center the top piece. All these pieces are a little scratched up--any thoughts on repainting these while I have them popped off? I won't be able to match the color on the window, but maybe can come close and clean it up a bit. Bad idea?

Thanks both for your responses.

Old 10-08-19, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
I'm guessing the color is statuary bronze. They make touch up paint, but you would likely want to remove all the pieces and spray them on a bench. It would be a lot of masking to spray them in place, but you could go that route too... provided the color is a match.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: