Replace/repair thermal window

Old 10-10-19, 05:13 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Replace/repair thermal window

We have two rather large thermal windows that are pretty fogged up. The larger window is a little less than 10 ft X 4 ft.

We are considering putting the house on the market and had a realtor come by today to have a look at the house. We asked - what do you think we need to fix up to sell the house. She said - maybe do something with those windows....

The frames themselves are in great shape. I'm not sure if they are PVC or aluminum and are about maybe 10 years old (as is the glass).

Should we just bite the bullet and replace the glass or is there some way to repair the windows ? For me - if the windows weren't fogged it might be ok if they weren't so much thermal, but we do like that they keep some of the noise out. Do we lose some of that sound protection if the windows don't have the gas anymore ?

Also - in a previous house we had impact glass and that was a great sound barrier. Can someone speculate how an impact window that size would compare to a thermal window that size price-wise ?

Thanks

Old 10-10-19, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
You will need to replace the glass, no it can't be repaired.

Old 10-12-19, 12:19 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So I'm including a couple photos of one of our windows. I'm wondering if it may be just really really dirty from years of neglect (it is a little hard to get to on the outside). Half the window was (until recently) covered with a large bougainvillea tree. On one of the photos you can see where maybe the spins scratched the 'dirt' some. You can also see swirly like marks where it looks like someone tried cleaning it with a sponge or something. There has never been any sign of moisture between the panes of glass...

Today, I tried cleaning it with some cleaner which is supposed to remove raindrops from car windshield as well as glass polish also meant for car windshields (in addition to plain Windex). I also took a nail and 'gently' tried scratching the glass, but it made no difference.

Is there a really heavy duty way I can try to clean the window. Maybe some really caustic chemical ?? Do you think an auto detailer might have a chance ?

Comments appreciated.

Attached Images   
Old 10-12-19, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
If you can't wipe it off on the inside or outside, it is fogged between the panes. It looks fogged to me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: