Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How to remove metal frame basement windows from concrete foundation

Old 10-16-19, 08:47 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

metal frame in concrete foundation wall

Old 10-16-19, 09:13 AM
Received 998 Likes on 907 Posts
The ones I have removed were installed when the walls were poured, so they had concrete on 3 sides.

A big pry bar, once you got the metal to buckle in the middle they folded up and came out.

Had to beat on them some!

Old 10-16-19, 09:49 AM
M
Received 240 Likes on 216 Posts
Sounds like a job made easier with an angle grinder.

They are reasonably priced and are a handy tool to have everything from sharpening lawn mower blades to cutting tile.

Old 10-16-19, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,418 Posts
You usually have a wood sill plate above the window, so start there. Remove the sash, bend the top down with a wrecking bar and cut it in half with a sawzall.

Once the top is cut you can often bend the sides around enough to pry them loose a little. As mentioned an angle grinder and a 1/16" metal blade will help you cut the sides in half if needed. Cutting all the pieces in half helps them come out easier with less cussing.

And sometimes you need a sawzall with some long metal blades (like the Milwaukee torch blades) just try not to dull the teeth on the concrete. If you pry first and make some space between the iron and the concrete, it helps you cut without ruining your blade right away. You also usually need a rotary hammer to work on the bottom. Most often you have to chip / chisel the cap off the bottom to get that part of the frame out because it's usually embedded in concrete pretty deep.

A diamond cup wheel on your grinder cones in handy to clean up the mortar on the sides and sill. Wet the old concrete to prepare it for new mortar. Then mortar a new cap in as you set the new window.

Old 10-22-19, 12:43 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing metal window from concrete foundation wall

Thanks to all for the sound advice. While looking for replacement windows, I looked at Home Depot/Tafco windows and found a size that will fit inside the metal frame after the window itself is removed from the fixed frame. The frame and existing concrete around the frame are in good shape The flanges on the sides and top and bottom of the vinyl window will abut the metal frame. The exterior sides of the metal frame extend about a half inch inside the interior so they will have to be cut out.

My plan is to first cut out the exterior sides with sawzall, and then drill screw holes in the remaining metal frame, and then screw the window in place through the vinyl flanges. Final step will be to caulk and finish work around the window.

Anyway, that's my plan... unless anyone advises strongly against it! I know that the window size will be smaller, but my main goal is to get an insulated window to replace these old metal windows, a couple of which are broken (the duct tape is falling off!).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: