Storm Window Inserts

Old 12-10-19, 02:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Storm Window Inserts

I realize some forums have strict rules about endorsing specific products so if any member has any suggestions for my problem and cannot mention a product name I would appreciate a private message.

I have fairly energy efficient triple pane/ double gas windows installed in my house but am looking to further increase the thermal efficiency. We have installed thermal honeycomb shades on a couple of sets of windows and the improvement in heat retention in the room is very noticeable. There are some windows where we would prefer not to to obstruct the view with window shades and so I was hoping to find a well designed storm window insert. I have come across a couple of manufacturers but unfortunately their products are not designed to fit within a window frame with only 5/8" depth. I'm not sure if current vinyl cased windows are built to a different standard in the USA but in Canada 5/8" is pretty standard. I am hoping to find an insert comprised of acrylic glass mounted in a sturdy vinyl (or metal) frame that inserts into a window frame with a 5/8" lip. The method of attachment can be friction fit or magnetic using 1/2" wide metallic adhesive backed strips that attach to the vinyl window. If anyone can suggest any potential products I would appreciate your info either here in this thread or by private message if a reply would violate forum rules. Thanks

Old 12-10-19, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Go to any city glass shop and they can probably make you something custom. Keep in mind that putting up things like that will usually void a window warranty. It has to do with the potential for heat buildup between the glass.

Old 12-10-19, 02:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I appreciate your input Sleeper. I have talked to several glass shops in my area and they do not deal with window inserts and suggested to make one on a custom basis would be prohibitively expensive. One window shop has been developing an insert but feels they have a way to go before it is usable. As mentioned those that have developed an insert appear to have a good product; it is just not designed to fit into a window frame with only 5/8" depth. I expect the greatest market for this type of product are older homes with wood windows that have a large sill depth. Maybe it is that only a crazy canuck would want to put inserts into windows that already have an R9 value. I think the -40C weather tends to chill the brain ;-)

Old 12-10-19, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your frames may be R-9 but the glass certainly is not. That's quite impossible.

If all you are after is an additional piece of glass, all you need to do is tell them the size you want, and you can figure out how to mount it... magnets or otherwise. Any hardware store in the world that does storm window and screen repair can cut a piece of glass and put an aluminum frame around it. (Just like a giant single storm sash)

And yes, there is a point at which an idea becomes crazy, or at least counterproductive. Thermal blankets (or your shades) may help keep the home warmer by blocking heat loss but the flip side of that is that those things are actually making your window glass and frame colder (by blocking the heat loss that keeps the window relatively warm) which means it will be even more susceptible to condensation in the winter than it would be without the blanket or shade.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: