Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Damaged interior door from forced entry needs repair

Old 12-23-19, 05:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Last night we had to force entry into our bathroom, the result was a damaged door (not jamb surprisingly). I really don't know much about repairing anything at all, so I was wondering what the appropriate approach would be. I've attached some photos of the damage.

My initial response to this was applying some titebond, and clamping the door together, is there a better approach? Please note the cracks on the front of the door. It also shifted some of the internal parts of the door handle and the screws for the steel plate that go on the door do not screw in, what is the recommended method of replacement? Is it best to use a larger screw, or to use toothpicks and screw in the screw?

thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-19, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Most privacy door knobs have a hole that you can insert a push pin into in case of an emergency like that.

You can also remove the door stop moulding next time instead of ruining the door. Once the stop is off, a putty knife or credit card can open the door.

You would have to force the cracked wood apart if you intend to use wood glue to glue it. Once you have it pryed apart (use a couple small flat screwdrivers to drive the splits apart) use a flat toothpick to spread the glue as deep as you can. Do this to all the cracks as quickly as you can, then wipe off all the glue that is on the surface with a wet rag. Place a 1x2 on each side of the door to the left and right of the handle and then tighten your 2 clamps down on the 1x2s. Wipe off any glue that squeezes out the edge of the door. Leave it clamped for 24 hrs or so to be sure it's completely dry.

It looks like an MDF (masonite) type of door. They dont glue up very well once damaged. You might end up getting a new door slab.

Old 12-23-19, 08:42 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Someone installed that door knob and used the wrong type plate.
Once you have done as Xsleeper suggested put some wood glue on some tooth picks and insert them in the screw holes and break them off flush so the screws will now hold.
The inside of that door is just likely card board so longer screws are not going to help.
See that hole in the trim ring?
That's likely where you could have just inserted something and unlocked the door.
When I install a locking interior door I always place the supplied push pin on top of the door trim at the top of the door.