Problem with Metal Door fit

Old 01-14-20, 09:26 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Problem with Metal Door fit

Newer house just over 1 year old. The metal door has begun 'rubbing' against the frame at the very bottom. I'm not well versed with such things, and am wondering if there is some way to 'adjust' this so that the door fits better. I've checked all the screws on the hinges and they are all tight.

Attached Images   
Old 01-14-20, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
First thing I would try is remove one of the screws that is closest to the weatherstrip from the bottom hinge, jamb side. Replace it with a 3" long screw. It will hit the stud and suck the door back slightly.

If that doesn't work the next thing I would try is to insert a skinny shim behind just half of that bottom hinge... the half that is closest to the weatherstrip. Even a toothpick might work. This rolls the hinge pin slightly to the left which will increase the clearance on the right side of the door.

Old 01-14-20, 11:11 AM
M
My picture doesn't show it, but the rest of the door is fine. It's just a bit protruding out at the point where it rubs. I thought I might tap it back with a hammer, but unsure of the makeup of the door.

Old 01-14-20, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yeah, what do I know. You could, however, just try the advice above.

You could also sand and repaint the door edge if you just need a minor adjustment. The door edge is wood. If there is a bulge on the jamb side, I would probably hit it with a grinder and a sanding disk. Then touch up the paint.

Old 01-14-20, 12:13 PM
M
Perhaps I"m not making sense here, but the entire door fits well, no need to adjust it's fit in the doorway, as far as I can see. It appears that the bottom of the side edge has suddenly protruded out of the door and is rubbing. Or do I not understand what is happening here? Like I say, I know little, but the door is only about a year old and has worked great up until now.

Old 01-14-20, 02:04 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Is the door rubbing against the stop or the jamb?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: