How to Adjust a Door Hinge and Door

Old 09-12-22, 10:41 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to Adjust a Door Hinge and Door

Hello all,
We have swinging interior doors whose hinges need adjusting because the doors slam when left to close. There is a pin in the hinge which probably just needs to be removed and placed in a different hole, but I still wanted to check to be sure.
Also, the swinging doors are now meeting at the top which also indicates that an adjustment is needed. What is the best way to do that?
I have attached photos of the hinge and the top of the swinging doors where they meet.
Thanks for your help.

Old 09-12-22, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Look on top of the hinge and see if there is a hex, that you will insert an Allen wrench into. You use the Allen wrench to take the spring tension off the pin... remove the pin, then set the tension the way you want it (relieve some tension with the Allen wrench) then reinsert the pin.

Old 09-12-22, 11:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Because the top of the doors are hitting I would look at the top hinge for each door. It looks like the door is installed into wood. A screw or two from the top hinge of each door can be replaced with long deck screws. Tightening them with an impact driver can pull/raise the doors back into the proper position.

Old 09-12-22, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
And if you want them to close quietly, you need hydraulic closers. And rubber bumpers on the door stops.

Old 09-12-22, 01:02 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Great help. Now that we mention bumpers, I’ve tried felt, and gel bumpers and they still don’t dampen the shock like I would like. It seems that there is a bumper that has a little bullseye in the center of another gel piece but I can’t seem to find that anywhere. Does anyone know what those are and what they are called and where I might find them?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: