How to replace interior wood that is rotten?

Old 09-23-22, 02:20 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to replace interior wood that is rotten?

I have interior wood panel that over time has rotten due to moisture getting in under the window. Few years ago i replaced the outside sealant for the window. However the wood has continue to rot and at this point i have no choice but to replace.

My question - how do i go about tackling this project? Would i need to replace the whole panel, or just part of it where its rotten? What is the process for doing this and what product do you recommend? I will leave couple of pictures bellow to give you an idea of the damage. The wood panel is about 1/4 inch in thick.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-23-22, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,602
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
IMO it would be best/easiest to replace that entire piece of oak plywood. Even if you patch it needs to come out so you could cut out the bad and spice in the new.

You have fixed the water issue, correct?
Old 09-23-22, 03:44 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,010
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
That is a nightmare... the vinyl windows are set on top of the plywood.. it runs out to the outside edge of the windows. You also likely have cables that are supposed to be pulling up on that plywood, which is what prevents the entire unit from sagging.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: