Did I buy the correct door weather strip?

Old 01-22-23, 04:53 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did I buy the correct door weather strip?

8 foot door. Weather strip is ripping. Had trouble finding anything at home depot with a aluminum/seal kit. Ended up going with this:

https://www.grainger.com/product/NAT...story&opr=ODOH

bought 3 of these for each side of the door. Included as many pics as I had. Weird thing about the weather strip is, it has the kit and the rubber part has another weather seal inside of it? I dont know if house came like that or if a previous homeowner just added it as a temporary solution.

would this product work?

Old 01-22-23, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The aluminum weatherstrip is a diy add on. Not really the best thing to use when all it needs I the proper fix... the aluminum can be a knuckle buster if you've got big hands on a door knob. If you want to replace the black weatherstrip, that is called q-lon, and it pushes into a kerf. You should be able to pry the old stuff out with a putty knife.

Doggo21 voted this post useful.
Old 01-22-23, 05:59 PM
D
Sigh, I figured it was something this simple. I had a new handy man come and recommend what to do. Had a feeling he didn’t know what he was talking about after performing a few other jobs.

so what would I use? something like three of these perhaps?

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-...s%2C126&sr=1-1

also if I can’t return the kit that I bought, should I try to use it or just take the loss and go with the Q-lon? It cost me $150 for 3 of them after shipping, feels bad.

Old 01-22-23, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Something similar to that. You can get better pricing if you buy the longer length rolls and cut it to length.

You will want to be sure you are getting the correct size (same as what you currently have) because they vary a little bit in the overall width and reach. So I'd take yours out, measure it carefully and compare with the specs of the pieces you're buying.

Can't say what you should do with the other. Cancel it if you can. Grainger isn't the best place for door parts.

Old 01-22-23, 07:25 PM
D
Out of curiosity, I haven’t been able to inspect it, but if the aluminum part is damaged too, what would be the advice? Replace the whole thing with the part I bought? Or just don’t both with the aluminum and replace it with just a weather strip? Or something else?

Old 01-22-23, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
Probably replace the whole thing.

Old 01-23-23, 02:35 PM
D
Another issue, there is a gap underneath the door sweep. What would be the best solution to fixing this? Would I need to replace the door sweep?

Old 01-23-23, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty hard to say. But yeah, you would probably want to take off your existing door bottom and close the door to measure what kind of gap you've got, then get a more appropriate size door bottom.

Doggo21 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: