Creating a Bifold Door

Old 12-24-23, 06:12 AM
G
Gen
Received 16 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Creating a Bifold Door

I have about a 60 inch or so width opening that I want to put a single bifold door. We have reasons for not wanting 2 sets of bifolds in the opening, nor do we want sliding bypass doors.

Knowing that the usual max width for bifolds is 48 inch, using two 24 inch doors, my question is can I create a set to cover the 60 inches using two 30 inch doors?

I plan to use lighter hollow doors. I have the skill to make these, but what I'm really getting at is whether I will run into problems or sagging from the weight, etc? Thanks!

Last edited by Gen; 12-24-23 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-24-23, 07:21 AM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
Johnson makes bifold door hardware that can handle up to 48" wide panels of up to 125 lbs each panel, so no reason you can't do what you want. Look at their 200 FS or FD series for example. One consideration is that the panels will stick out nearly 30 inches into the room/hallway which is why most go with 4 panels for such an opening. But if that won't be an issue, than go for it. Just don't scrimp on the hardware.

Another option would be the Johnson full access type of bifold door hardware using 4 panels. With that hardware, the doors fold fairly flat against the wall on either side of the opening so they don't stick into the room/hall so far. But they can only be up to 24 wide panels so you would need to go with 4 panels. I really like the full access hardware since it you have nearly full access to the closet area when the doors are open, but it is more complicated to install than the traditional bifold door hardware.

Gen voted this post useful.
Old 12-24-23, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
I think most closets 60" wide would have double doors with ball catches on top when bypass doors are not an option.

Old 12-24-23, 08:38 AM
G
Gen
Received 16 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Johnson hardware. If I can't get that quickly, is there any reason that regular a bifold hardware kit wouldn't also work?

Old 12-24-23, 09:04 AM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
Since you are using hollow core doors, which aren't very heavy, you could use standard hardware, but you'll need a 60" track which may not be readily available at the big box stores. If you mount the track carefully, you could probably get by with butting two shorter pieces of track to make 60".

You can order some of the Johnson hardware from the big A, but IME it ships direct from Johnson anyway. They usually ship it quickly, but shipping times are a little crazy this time of year. The big box stores mostly stock the lighter duty kits for smaller openings.

Old 12-24-23, 09:10 AM
Received 390 Upvotes on 339 Posts
Substituting piano hinges for the standard ones would give you more support. I used a piano hinge between the panels on a bifold door for a very small bathroom (really a water closet) where the toilet faced the door so no one could peek through the door gap.

This is the door before the piano hinge was installed. The hinges were not mortised so there was a gap between the doors when closed. A full length piano hinge fills the gap and supports the door along its entire length.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: