Replacement windows

Old 01-18-24, 04:04 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacement windows

I have a south Florida home that is just turning 20 years old. It still seems new but the windows are single pane and allow a lot of noise and heat through. I am trying to get quotes to replace 1 or 2 large windows and a sliding glass door. Iíve called a couple of places I found on the internet but they seeem like salesman only not installers. Do all companies sub out the work? I would like to find a local installer. I seem to keep finding larger companies just trying to over sell me. Suggestions please.

Old 01-18-24, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,185 Upvotes on 1,955 Posts
There are two directions. You can talk with the window companies who only make windows and rely on subcontractors to do the install. Or you can talk with contractors for the install and pick whatever windows you want. In the end a window manufacturer is not going to install the windows. That onsite work will most likely be a contractor.

Old 01-30-24, 08:03 AM
J
How do I go about finding a decent contractor to install windows?

Old 01-30-24, 09:27 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I think most here probably consider this sacrilege, but I had a slider and a kitchen garden window replaced a couple of years ago. I bought them at Home Depot and they recommended an installer. This was after I got a bid from the well known window company that has those annoying ads on TV 24/7. They sent a used car salesman type to my house. He was more interested in getting me to sign a contract on the spot.

I got the same materials at HD and all in it was nearly $1000 cheaper than the used car type guy. I was very pleased with the materials, the work and the price.

jack10525 voted this post useful.
Old 02-01-24, 05:34 AM
J
@cwbuff
The used car salesman story is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Went through is about 10 years ago when I wanted to check out solar panels. The salesman would not leave. We finally had to kick him out saying we had plans to be somewhere. I may just check around the big box stores to see if they have windows in my size.

Old 02-01-24, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
You could probably have a film put on your windows to cut down the heat.

Old 02-01-24, 06:18 AM
J
Received 23 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Hard to imagine a home built after 2000 that has only single pane windows. Or a county building department that would allow.
Just a homeowner here with reasonable home construction experience. There are many fine quality window suppliers below the top tier names. That said, installation is key to performance and satisfaction. You can end up with a window that performs completely as advertised but the installation leaks. The window company is not to blame.
I would suggest doing some reading about how to properly install new windows on an existing home. Become familiar with best practices before talking to installers. Then interview installers. See who will explain their process to you. You won’t necessarily be able to follow everything but you can tell knows what. I would sooner get a second tier window and pay the difference to get a better installation.

Old 02-01-24, 09:26 AM
J
The windows are definitely single pane. They are very thin and allow heat and noise through. I already have heat reducing tint on them from 15 years ago. I will do my due diligence with the installers.

Old 02-01-24, 11:00 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
Replacement windows are a much simpler install than new construction windows since you are basically installing the window into an existing jamb. Years ago I installed 17 double hung replacement windows over a 3 day weekend. Not counting interior trim replacement I think it took about an hour per window. Essentially you are removing the existing sashes along with stops and any hardware, sliding the new window into place, and fixing it plumb, level and square.

The most important part is measuring the window opening to get the correct size window. Also, be aware that you will lose some amount of light since the glass area is smaller than the existing window.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: