Jeld Wen window jamb extension removal

Old 02-12-24, 08:32 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jeld Wen window jamb extension removal

Hi,

Looking for help with how to remove this window jamb extension. I do not know if they are factory installed. I need to replace with a longer one. Any insight would be appreciated. They are Jeld Wen windows.

Old 02-13-24, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,963 Upvotes on 1,760 Posts
Just pry it off. They are probably just attached to the rough opening. You could check by inserting a thin putty knife through that gap in the bottom right corner.

Old 02-13-24, 07:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
If the extension was ordered with the windows they are often stapled or brad nailed in place. If it was installed afterwards it's likely face nailed into the rough opening. Removal is the same either way like XSleeper said, just pry it off.

Old 02-13-24, 11:01 AM
H
took out the bottom jamb extension on a one window and got this. Was mostly held in my nails, looks like there is a spot the wood slides into. Guess just try to pry that out too?

Old 02-13-24, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Make it look like the left bottom side of the window. If there are any staples sticking out of the vinyl just clip them off. Your new jamb will slide right back in there.

Old 02-16-24, 08:16 AM
H
Jambs slowly but surely coming out. Here is a picture of what I actually got out. How do I replace this? This has obviously been cut to slide in, presumably done in the factory. Do I just cram a piece of wood in there and bend the plastic thing that folds into the wood?

Old 02-16-24, 08:28 AM
H
A new concern, I am up to the top extension jamb, butt he window is now noticeably moving, specifically on the top and let side of the window. I can push it and there is a significant give, probably moves 1/2 an inch back and forth. Right side seems locked in place. I had to cut some nails and staples that were holding the extension jamb in place, but presumably those wouldn't be structural. Is this just a bad install, or did I pull something loose while prying those extension jambs out.

Picture of current state.

Old 02-16-24, 08:40 AM
H
Follow up - I went to pry out the last window extension jamb and pretty sure I could pull out the entire without without too much issue. lil help?

Old 02-16-24, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Could be a poor installation. Typically windows have a nailing fin on the outside that secures the window to the house and flashes it, preventing it from moving around like that. Sounds like someone removed the exterior nailing fins instead of removing siding or trim. Without seeing the outside or being there to see what you see, it's hard to say. It's entirely possible that you might need to remove the window to secure the new jambs to the window if they are the only thing holding it.

Old 02-17-24, 04:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
You may need to "install" your window beofore proceeding further. Square and plumb it in the opening using shims around the perimeter if needed between the window frame and the house's rough framing. Then nail/screw through the window frame, through your shims and into the framing to firmly attach the window. Then, after you have the window installed/secured you can proceed with removing the trim.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: