Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Can I remove glass block and replace with screen?

Old 02-29-24, 12:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a concrete block/stuccoed home with a 40” x 63”opening that has glass block as a “window”. This is part of a lanai & doesn't open to the interior of the house.
can I safely remove the glass block and replace it with screening? I’m not sure if the glass block would be considered “load bearing” in any way, or if it would already have a header above it like any other window opening. I won’t be enlarging the opening, so not getting into the block wall at all.
TIA for any suggestions!

Old 02-29-24, 02:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
There should be a lintel above the opening. I would pick the mortar away in a small spot, digging in looking for the lintel. You can also use a hammer drill with a small masonry bit. Drill, feeling and watching the chips for signs that you've hit steel. If you don't find a lintel I'd consider leaving the glass block in place. There should be one in there but glass block is pretty strong and I've seen windows built without a lintel and relying on the glass block for support.

Old 03-01-24, 08:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot Dane.

Ty for the suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: