Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Anyone know if there's an easy fix for a broken seal on double paned windows?

Old 04-16-24, 07:02 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The center window of what I would assume was installed as a 3 window unit 36 years ago has discoloration on the inside of the double panes.

I've tried cleaning the outsides of both inside and outside with no improvement. The window doesn't get condensation over time. Just this white pattern

Would any one know if I can just order a replacement double pane module? Take off the moulding on the inside, remove the old double pane module and put the new one in?

It's an anderson window. Are there other brands that are likely less expensive?

If its more exotic than that to fix, I think we'll leave it as is?!

Or is there any way to get in there to clean the insides of the glass?

Old 04-16-24, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,974 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
No there is not. With Andersen you will want to get a replacement sash. That means the glass and the frame around it. They are simple to replace. You can use their website to request parts.

Old 04-16-24, 07:28 PM
E
The glass and frame around it...would you think this center window that doesn't open can be replaced alone? Or the entire unit with 3 windows has to get changed out!? (the outer 2 are casement with screens)

Old 04-16-24, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Just the center sash. You remove the interior wood stops and the sash has tabs that are stapled or nailed to the frame. Removal and replacement is simple.

Old 04-22-24, 02:37 PM
E
I reached out to Andersen and they gave me the part number of the window sash I need.

Googling the part number, it seems other than andersen, there's only 1 company that sells andersen windows on the web. Andersen wants $660, the other place wants $540. They said it'll be drop shipped from Andersen / they are a dealer.

Sound legit?

Any other recommendations on how to get the window?

would you expect there's companies that make direct equivalents of an andersen window thats 30+ years old?

Old 04-22-24, 02:48 PM
E
I saw something about Home Depot selling andersen. Called and it's on sale!?! $390.

That was easy!

Old 04-22-24, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Amazing. The guy that suggested that must be a genius. LOL

Old 04-22-24, 05:36 PM
Received 398 Upvotes on 347 Posts
The seal on a 30 year old triangular fixed pane Andersen window at my vacation home failed after the warranty period. I do not remember the price quoted for an Andersen replacement, but a local window company in Portland, ME provided one for half the price, installed. They are a company that makes windows for construction projects.

Call around to glass suppliers in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: