Big gap between threshold and storm door

Old 04-29-24, 01:01 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Big gap between threshold and storm door

I recently purchased a condo that I plan to rent out in the future. I have been doing minor repairs around the unit and I am stuck on the front door. The exterior storm door that was installed was done poorly and there is a massive gap between the door and the threshold. I fear that the best fix is to extended the threshold with concrete and/or to replace or just remove the storm door.

Any ideas or tips are appreciated.

Old 04-29-24, 01:47 PM
B
Received 322 Upvotes on 284 Posts
Unusual elevation for a threshold. Check places that sell storm doors and windows for a bottom extension. Will fill most/all of gap depending where inside of storm doors align with outside of threshold.

Bwiebs57 voted this post useful.
Old 04-29-24, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
You are missing a sill nose on the door sill that extends out under the storm door. It gets attached to your existing sill. (Which is usually made of wood). A carpenter would make that new sill nose out of wood on a table saw and then fasten the new piece onto the front of your existing sill.

Then it also looks like you are missing the sill expander, which is an aluminum piece that goes on the bottom of your storm door. It's slotted so that you can adjust it up and down as needed, and it has rubber fin weatherstripping on bottom. Here is one that fits on a 1" thick storm door. Example

Bwiebs57 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: