how to drill into lintel to fix bracket

Old 09-06-16, 02:38 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to drill into lintel to fix bracket

Hi
my good lady bought some curtain poles and im struggling to fix the brackets.
im having problems drilling into the steel lintel above the window! its reinforced concrete?, i have tried HSS drills and all they do is get blunt and hot - any ideas would be much appreciated ! thanks

Old 09-06-16, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Steel lintels are normally on the exterior side of the wall. Is this a block house? concrete lintels are generally 8" thick [same as the block] but most houses will have 1xs attached to the interior side of the block to allow for insulation, electrical and to attach the drywall to. Can you better describe the construction of your house? pics are sometimes helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-06-16, 05:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Are you certain you are drilling into steel? A HSS bit can drill steel without much trouble so I wonder if you are drilling into concrete. If you are drilling into concrete you need a carbide tipped masonry bit and a hammer drill.

If you are drilling into steel start with a new/sharp small bit like 1/8". Push hard and run the drill slow. You should see two curls of steel or at least good sized flakes if you are doing it properly. Then once you've drilled through the steel with the small pilot bit you can step up to a larger bit as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: