bathroom exhaust fan, wall or ceiling

Old 05-05-15, 07:18 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom exhaust fan, wall or ceiling

I am wanting to install a new bath exhaust fan in a large space. I am looking for no less than a 150 cfm fan, and could go up to 200. On the other hand, I want quiet, too, about 1.5 sones or less if possible. I have seen several ceiling fans that fit the bill, but I have tall walls and sloped cathedral ceilings, so I'd like a wall or inline fan. But those are few and far between and super loud, like 6.5 sones. I have a small area of regular ceiling where I might be able to install a ceiling fan but would at least like the option of a wall or inline fan. Does anyone know of anything to recommend? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-15, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
An inline fan gets mounted in the ductwork in the attic. Usually they are pretty quiet since the motor is away from the room.

I use Panasonic exhaust fans exclusively. They are extremely quiet, especially the Whisper series. The link below is their product line.

The biggest problem with wall mounting an exhaust fan is that you need a deep wall (2x6 or larger) to get a fan to fit in.

Panasonic fan catalog pdf

Old 05-06-15, 08:28 AM
A
inline, update

I made my way into our crazy, treacherous attic and discovered that, due to space restrictions, wall or inline is the only way I can do this... which means I likely will be doing inline. But I have no way of locating it more than a few feet away from the room, so I will still need a quiet one. I will check out your recommendations on Panasonic. Still open to wall mount if I can find a quiet one because the back of this wall is in the attic, where I can add bracing as needed. This fan will also need to vent out an exterior hardie wall rather than an eave. Fun times ahead.

Old 05-06-15, 08:50 AM
A
Another update... I checked out the Panasonic whisper line fan installation instructions and see a potential problem. My joists run parallel to the wall where I will place the grill and to the exterior wall where it will vent out. Panasonic makes the assumption that the joists run perpendicular to the wall. Due to the configuration of this model and most others, I am sure, this means either rigging a way to install it going the other direction (adding perpendicular bracing) or making 90 degree turns with the ductwork both coming in and going out... and I am wondering if that will reduce the unit's efficiency or cause other trouble. Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 02-07-16, 05:36 PM
A
Question Update, new question

When I first posted, I intended to do the fan at the beginning of the project... but I finished everything else five months ago and am now doing the fan at the END!
So I have the inline fan in my hands but still can't find what to use for the INTERIOR side of the unit in terms of register or grill. Do I need anything specific? I went to Lowes today and saw just diffusers or regular HVAC boot grills... but nothing specifically for inline fans. So my guess is that means there isn't anything specifically for inline fans and I'm supposed to know what else to use. I know Panasonic would gladly sell me for $100, but I'm thinking I could find something else for $20. Right?
What types of things can I or can't I use for this application?
(For the OUTSIDE, I'm using a wall exhaust with screen and damper.)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I've never installed an inline fan before (only ceiling mounted that already had everything needed in the box).
Thanks.

Old 02-07-16, 07:48 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Some of the supply grilles for inline fans have backdraft dampers to keep cold air from falling into the room in winter. But most people use something like this:

MGS4 - Fantech MGS4 - MGS Series Adjustable Metal Supply Grille w/ Metal Mounting Collar for 4" Duct