Duct to nowhere?

Old 02-27-16, 08:32 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duct to nowhere?

Hi,
I have been investigating the contents above my drop ceiling basement. I have discovered 10' run of round metal duct that has an open end, doesn't terminate to a vent or register. Its just a open hole/tube above the tile. I traced it back to a floor box to the second floor (the garage), but there isnt a vent or register in that area, and the furnace is in the basement... Im super confused. I think maybe if there was a vent, it was covered with new flooring?
Would I be OK to just cut the run of ducting since it appears to serve no purpose and put a sheet of metal over the opening at the floor register?
The duct is pretty tight against the joists, so I will need to know how to get into it. Drill and tin snips???
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-16, 09:02 AM
T
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
I see you're in Oregon so I assume you're using heat now and have hot air. (If you have only A/C and a different heat source, let me know.) Can you tell if you're getting any heat from the duct?

Also, I'm confused by your comment, "put a sheet of metal over the opening at the floor register". What register are you referring to?

One way or the other, though, ducts should be sealed. Having an open duct is not a good idea and it should be closed. You can certainly cut it with snips or a Dremel. Seal it with Mastic and mesh tape.

Old 02-27-16, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
I'm a little concerned with blocking off the floor register too. Is it in an area where it's not needed ?

Old 02-27-16, 09:13 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honestly I dont know where the floor register goes, I traced it to the location where it would come above the subfloor and there is nothing there. But we have newer flooring... I think it was blocked off and its a dead line.

PJmax

I'm a little concerned with blocking off the floor register too. Is it in an area where it's not needed ?

Old 02-28-16, 03:47 AM
T
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Your comments raise an issue you probably haven't considered. I'll address that and comment again on your original question. Your HVAC system is designed and constructed with equilibrium. Yin and yang, if you want. Although there's some variability, your system should be in balance. You can't just add or delete supply or return vents and expect the system to operate properly. This applies to the flooring contractor or anyone else.

So, if registers were actually eliminated and not just moved you may have an issue only a professional can access.

Having said that, now I'll comment on your open duct question. If the duct in question is a supply duct - meaning warm air is coming out when the heat is on - I'd consider closing it off with sheet metal and mastic / tape. If it is part of the return air duct - meaning air is being returned to the system - I'd be leery about messing with it beyond adding a register to prevent who knows what from getting into your system.