Extremely ill: controlling air quality

Old 03-04-16, 08:30 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extremely ill: controlling air quality

I have some health issues that have cost me everything. My home, job, my relationship, and everything I owned. That being said I am building an air purifier made out of wood. The reason why I'm building it is I have found out that the more advanced furnace filters seem to work better for me but I can't use the fan in my heater it makes me feel quite ill so I have the ducts sealed off and the furnace is turned off. Anyway, I can't use a used squirrel cage and motor I had to purchase these parts new the one thing I didn't get is the box the these items fit in. Can I build a box made out of wood or do the squirrel cage and motor have to be installed in a box made out of sheet metal? I should have just purchased a small blower from harbor freight but I wanted to have more than one speed and be able to turn the unit on/off at the box I built not just to plug and unplug the blower.
Thank you.

This is what the box would look like.
Name:  filter.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  44.5 KB
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itwqtIhqKqw

Last edited by PJmax; 03-04-16 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-16, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I added a little more description to your title.

You've blocked off all the duct work to the furnace. How do you heat now ?
In my opinion....wood is not the best way to control fine dust.

Old 03-04-16, 05:19 PM
T
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Tug, wood is one popular option to house a DIY home air filtration system. However, I don't see it. Air movement will create varying degrees of dampness and wood may exacerbate the problem. Beyond that, you'll find it difficult to seal the seams and changes in air pressure plus vibration may add to that problem. For those reasons, you'd probably be well served by lining the interior to eliminate the wood issues.

When all is said and done, you may be better off using sheet metal. It would probably be cheaper, too.

One last point. I'd consider a project with the exhaust end larger than the intake or filters on two sides.

Last edited by Tony P.; 03-04-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 05:33 PM
T
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
I have one more comment and I suspect someone will say something, but here goes. I assume you don't want to buy a portable air filtration system. Consider as an alternate just getting a box fan with a speed control and attaching an air filter to it.