Venting Bathrooms

Old 08-19-16, 08:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Venting Bathrooms

I have a Main Bathroom (7'- 6"x 7'-6") and a small Master/shower (7'x4'). My roofer friend (a fantastic guy) and I replaced 3/8" plywood sheathing with 5/8" sheathing (along with a 30 yr shingle) on my 1400 sq ft Brick Ranch built in 1974. Inadvertenly we covered the 1" air ventilation gap at the base of the roof with the new sheathing! We installed drip edge and all was sealed tight before the starter course.

The Main Bath has a ceiling exhaust fan that vents perpendicular (along joists) over the adjoining small Master/shower. The Master/shower has only a 6 over 6 dbl hung window (no exhaust fan). This vent duct leads to the roofs edge...where the former 1" air ventilation gap is no longer in existance.

The kitchen is alongside the lengths of the two bathrooms with the oven exhaust fan on the other side of the adjoining bathroom wall.

Black mold has appeared in both bathrooms. We really don't want anymore holes thru the roof.

Is it OK to install a ceiling fan in the small Master Shower? Then linkup both bathroom exhaust fans from the attic space above, to the oven exhaust fan vent, that goes thru the roof?

Thanks, for any comments!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-16, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Absolutely not! 50% of your bath fan exhaust would blow right into your kitchen! Do it right and install a dedicated roof vent for your bath fans. Venting out the soffit is rarely a good option because that air is usually sucked right back into the roof, since that is the intake for roof ventilation.

Old 08-20-16, 01:38 PM
J
Thanks, XSleeper! I appreciate your comment! Venting out the soffit was an option I considered. I do need to address the problem of no soffit ventilation. We did install a continuous ridge vent and there are gable vents at each end of the house. Thanks, again! It would be smart to reconsider 'one more hole' thru the roof...by installing that dedicated roof vent for bath fans.

Old 08-20-16, 03:14 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
There is often a reluctance to drill another hole in the roof, but in reality most homes already have one or two and they are actually low on the maintenance list.

I agree with X that you don't want to combine the kitchen with any other vent. Correction welcome, but I believe there are bath exhaust fans that can be installed in the attic and you might be able to combine two bathrooms onto one fan.

As for the mold you do need good fans and they make delayed off switches that will allow the fans to continue running after being switched off. The purpose is to get rid of more of the moisture.

Yes you do want to resolve the soffit venting or other low vent option.

Bud

Old 08-20-16, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Yes, remote fans can combine two bath fans into one. Just pick the correct size (cfm) for your needs. They are also very quiet.

Old 08-21-16, 06:06 AM
J
Bud, great ideas...one fan for both baths in the attic and the delayed off switches I have not considered. I'll be checking out my local home improvement center. Thanks!

Old 08-21-16, 06:14 AM
J
Correct size (cfm)...and 'quiet' sounds good! Excellent, I appreciate all the help!