Installing an external vent for clothes dryer

Old 08-20-16, 08:49 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing an external vent for clothes dryer

I'm not posting to ask how I just wanted to make sure that before I begin the job everything is in proper order. I've watched a few informative videos and am pretty comfortable with the process at this point, however I want to clear up some case dependent details.

This is the current layout

(full size)
https://postimg.org/image/3r71hugmx/

I've got a closet that houses a dryer and I have to lay ducting through the closet wall then through the exterior wall to the outside. The way I'm picturing it right now is that the ducting will have to lay on the floor of the house? Is that ok? I'm planning on putting an opening in the exterior wall about a foot off the ground, but maybe it's better to plant it near the ceiling, or midway throught? The picture is somewhat to scale so it's not really a long distance that the ducting has to cover before it reaches the wall, about 5ft from the closet, but in any case I just wanted to make sure it's not going to be a safety hazzard, so maybe I can attach it to the wall or something instead?

Another thing that is not clear from the picture is that this is the second floor of the house, and the owner got me a really cheap aluminum down facing vent with a flap cover. While all the videos I watched have a staright out exhaust. Should I be concerned with the vent blowing directly at the house's vinyl covers or some other positional issue with venting from second floor. Most videos have it on first floors and just say keep it 12 in from the ground.

Thank you, please let me know if you need additional details.

Also if anyone knows, what would be a fair price to charge for a job like this?

Old 08-20-16, 09:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If your dryer is on the 2nd floor I'd run the duct at floor level and go straight outside. Dryer duct needs to be rigid galvanized steel so don't use the cheap flexible stuff. And make sure you have room in your closet to make the connection from the dryer to the exhaust duct.

The exterior vent you mentioned will be fine. Make sure there is a screen on the outside to prevent birds from building a nest inside.

Old 08-20-16, 10:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oh it has to be rigid? They got me the flexible tube. Thanks, good thing I asked here.

Old 08-20-16, 01:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
It's for fire prevention. The lint in dryer exhaust is very flammable. A rigid steel plenum can contain a fire where flexible plastic or aluminum duct can burn through jeopardizing your home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: