Need good HVAC tape for OUTSIDE that withstand hot/cold weather

Old 09-23-16, 05:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need good HVAC tape for OUTSIDE that withstand hot/cold weather

I have two compressors with 6 airheads. They were installed on my flat roof about 5 years ago. All works, and although I had most of the copper wires encased (and rubberized with Armaflex), some had to be wrapped by Armaflex and HVAC tape only. I bought what I thought was the best possible tape at Home Depot (but to be fair, it did not have foil).

Unfortunately, since I live in the Northeast, we get anything from 0F to 100F (and snow too). The HVAC tape dried out within a year, year & half.

My question: What kind or brand of HVAC do I need to get that will last me longer. I heard that it should contain foil for extra re-enforcement.

Thank you all for the advice.

Below are two photos to show you an example of the turns that I need to wrap (taken when I initially installed the HVAC tape)

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7618/AGBUMx.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1084/Bsp1xq.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-16, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
I'm a little at a loss. I've never seen lines wrapped so completely before. I live in the Northeast too and just use the rubber foam with the self sealing seam on my lines. I've never had any problems.

Foil tape will stick permanently but I don't think it will wrap well around uneven bundles.

Possibly someone else has a different idea.

Old 09-24-16, 04:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would this one be okay too? This Nashua 330X looks like exactly what I needed in the first place:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...4ca3cf06f5.pdf

I guess I will need to clean-off my existing one that is falling apart before applying this one, and not doing it over the remains of the old, which is deteriorating?

Old 09-24-16, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
That will work but foil tape is a bear to wrap around things. It sticks well but tears easily.
It's going to be a challenge.

Old 09-28-16, 06:45 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I agree that I don't see the need to do this. Why not just get a 2-2.5 inch rubbatex and wrap it again?