Unable to Find 4" Galvanized Duct (28 Gauge) in 5' Lengths

Old 09-30-16, 11:08 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unable to Find 4" Galvanized Duct (28 Gauge) in 5' Lengths

I am trying to find 4" Galvanized Duct (28 gauge) in 5' lengths. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I checked online, Home Depot, and Lowes. Does anyone know if any retailers carry it? I only see it sold in 2' lengths, which I guess is okay. I'm redoing my dryer vent this weekend, and if I'm interpreting the code properly, I need to use 28 gauge. It's very odd, because all of the home improvement stores sell 30 gauge and list it as a dryer duct.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-16, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Look for a Ferguson or Winnelson in your area. Call and ask if they will sell to you retail.

Old 09-30-16, 12:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Also check with lumber yards or other businesses that supply to contractors. In my tiny town we have a large "lumber yard" that carries just about everything needed to build a house and of the thickness/quality needed to meet code. Like yours, my local Lowes only has the thinner 30 ga duct while my lumber yard stocks it with a thicker wall.

Old 10-01-16, 02:24 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryerbox or Rigid Duct for Dryer Connection

Thanks for the great suggestions! I found a local supply house, and they carry 26 gauge in 5'. I'm not sure why they don't have 28 gauge, but I assume there's nothing wrong with using thicker duct. It appears that I may even need to use 26 due to my duct running through the garage attic. I saw that here: https://www.nachi.org/inspecting-dryer-exhaust.htm

I have a question about the connection from the dryer to the duct. My existing duct is on the outside of the wall (interior of the laundry room). I was thinking that maybe I should move it behind the wall and use the Dryerbox for the connection. I assume that I could also just use rigid duct. The only issue I can think of is that it may need to be modified to fit a new dryer. Does anyone have any recommendations?