Quickly clear out VOC's and formaldehyde in Michigan Winter in New Construction

Old 01-01-17, 06:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quickly clear out VOC's and formaldehyde in Michigan Winter in New Construction

I get migraine headaches and am moving to a new condo that was just built. My bedroom will be in the basement and I need to learn how to quickly clear out all of the VOC's and formaldehyde so I can move in. Is there a machine I can rent or buy that will do this? The furnace has a vent that brings in fresh air several times per hour because the condo is built very tight. It's not an HRV/ERV unit though, just a fresh air vent. Should I have something else installed in the HVAC system to help with this? One suggestion was a UV light on the furnace. There is a sliding window in the basement bedroom but no windows that can be opened in the main room in the basement

Old 01-01-17, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I think the best you can do may be a portable hepa air scrubber. They cost a small fortune so hope you are rich. But don't expect a miracle. If a dead skunk was laying in your basement, it would probably still stink a month later, air scrubber or not. UV light won't help a chemical smell.

Old 01-02-17, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Generally fresh air ventilation is the best cheap method of removing VOCs and odors ..... but that is easier said than done in the winter If you go that route install a fan at the window to draw air out.

Old 01-02-17, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
As said, air change would be the most effective in removing VOC contamination.
This type of irritant is mostly gaseous and airborne although some particles can rest on surfaces.

Open windows and fans both circulating air within the space and an exhaust fan in a window will be most effective.
In time the air will clear but fans make it happen faster.

Old 01-04-17, 01:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
open the windows for a few days. Not much you can do on the residential side to get rid of them other than fresh air.. Charcoal filters will be the only thing to remove the VOCs and you can't do a good job with just a standard 1 inch filter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: