Round or rectangular air diffusers in the basement ceiling

Old 04-04-17, 08:50 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Round or rectangular air diffusers in the basement ceiling

Hello,

Have a questions concerning what type of air diffuser to use in my situation. I am finishing a basement with an entertainment room and 2 additional bedrooms. Duct work is up in the floor joists, so the air registers will be installed in the ceiling. My questions is what type of register to use for this type of application, round or rectangular? The air registers will be installed about 2 feet away from the basement windows in each room. This is mostly for heating application as we get long and cold winters. Also, I have installed cold air returns in each room, at the baseboard level.

I couldn't really find any information on what type of diffusers to use on the net, please be kind to provide a suggestion or comment.

Thank you!
Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-17, 09:06 AM
S
Alex, is there any way to locate the registers below the windows ?

Old 04-04-17, 10:58 AM
C
skaggsjel,

Unfortunately not practical at all in my situation given the design of the duct work and framing configurations. In my opinion, having return at the base board level in the opposite side of the room will pull that warm air from the ceiling, hence making the room temperature nice and comfortable. I just cant decide on what type of registers to use. Rectangular registers would be easier to install, given the fact that the duct pipe is being pushed down by Roxul insulation between the floor joists, which in turn makes is harder bring that 90 degree elbow up enough to get it flush with the drywall.

Thanks.

Old 04-04-17, 11:00 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Its all personal preference. Either will work. Id suggest rectangle just because it will be much easier to blow the heat to the floor.

Old 04-24-17, 06:51 AM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I live 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, Pa. When I finished my basement 18 years ago, I installed the round ceiling diffusers with dampers that I could close when running the A/C. I have about 1900 sq. ft. finished and 6 ceiling diffusers and 4 return grills mounted at the floor level. This year I replaced the ceiling diffusers with 12" X 6" supply registers which provide a down direction to the warm air. My basement is now about 3 degrees F. warmer than it was with the ceiling diffusers. I used the same supply duct work, utilizing 6" flex duct between the ridgid duct and the register boots. ( gives a lot of flexibility to the duct connections.