Sanitizing duct work

Old 04-11-17, 05:39 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Sanitizing duct work

Hi All, just got 2 quotes for central AC replacement both included sanitizing the duct work which is primarily flex duct,I have never heard of this before,is this some kind of a gimmick?
Geo

Old 04-12-17, 05:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Since nobody in my area does it. I'll say yes, it is another method to get more of your money. There may be some merit to it but I assume it's like an auto dealer putting on their "special" paint protection package (wax) and charging you $750.

Old 04-12-17, 07:52 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It's a service that is out there but I question it's overall benefit.

Over the course of 6 new homes I've had the opportunity to get into my ducts and other than some minor construction debris all I have ever found is a light coating of dust.

Now I understand that my ducts are only 6-8 years old but when you see their advertising and the ducts are coated with 3" of crud I suspect that is a very rare condition.

As far as "sanitizing", well I think Id consider sending the family out, turning on the blower, and using up a couple cans of Lysol!

Old 04-12-17, 11:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If the duct is not clean first then you would only be hitting the top of the dirt. I wish someone would take these guys to court for false clams. No way to sanitize the inside of duct. You can treat it and that is about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: