Extend dryer vent past A/C condenser unit

Old 06-25-17, 05:19 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extend dryer vent past A/C condenser unit

My dryer vent goes straight through the wall to the outdoors, and blows lint all over the side of my a/c outdoor unit. I just spent an hour scraping and hosing an inch-deep layer of lint from the concrete and the side of the a/c unit. I want to extend the vent past the end of the a/c. Couple of questions.

1. The flange for the vent cover is below the stucco. Do I need to break up the stucco to get the vent off, or can I use some tin snips to cut off the cover and then insert the new vent pipe in the opening?

2. There is not much space between the a/c and the wall along which I would need to run the new vent pipe, about 17 inches. I want to build a box and weatherproof it, but that would leave little room for a/c service if needed. Can someone suggest how to construct a portable or removable weatherproof box for the pipe? Or am I better off just getting an a/c contractor in to move the a/c unit over a foot or so?

Thanks.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-17, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I wiuld try cutting off the tin before breaking stucco. Get a 4 foot section of medal vent pipe. It comes able to slide into old pipe but you still may have to cut out the sleeve in existing pipe. No need to cover except for looks. It may rust and rustolum paint might help.Vent needs to be a few feet from A/C

Old 06-28-17, 07:52 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll give it a try.