Air Exchanger Trouble

Old 08-13-17, 04:56 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Exchanger Trouble

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone might have an idea on what might be going on with my air exchanger. I have a Broan HRV 7.1 which is identical to the Venmar EVO5 700.

I've had it for a couple of years and it's worked great. The other day I noticed that it was reading an outdoor temperature that wasn't right. I went into the basement for something else and noticed that it was very quiet except for a clicking sound. I've noticed that sound before when the unit was changing its settings. But this time no fan.

I opened the side panel and saw the dampers trying to open or close. After they stopped moving I put the panel back on and the fan powered up and everything seemed like it was working again. It switched through its program and ran fine.

Yesterday it happened again where there was no airflow. I went downstairs to check on it and again the fan wasn't running. Tried to reset like th edgy before but no luck. I'm not 100% sure but could it have something to do with the dampers or motor that opens them?

As I said it seems to run fine when they get into the right position. The fan powers up and the air exhausts normally. But it seems as soon as it tries to close them it stops. I get no error message on the display.

I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions. Thanks.

Old 08-13-17, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,949 Votes on 2,662 Posts
These things require yearly maintenance. Usually nothing more than a good cleaning although one part does come out and get soaked in a bucket.

The only other thing I can think of is to power cycle the unit to reboot it. This allows the unit to reset the damper positioning. Remove power for 30 seconds.

Old 08-13-17, 11:36 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am actually pretty diligent at cleaning it. I change the filters and clean the inside and the core as per the manufacturers recommendation. I have tried cycling it a few times. It's hard to explain but the two dampers seem to struggle and shake to get into place and usually don't. The the unit shuts off.

If it happens to be set for continuous recirculation wither the dampers closed it works fine. Or if it's set for continuous fresh air and they are open it's fine. It just seems to be when it's on the cycle to open and close the fresh air on a program. Plus it seems as if when I unplug it and plug it back in it never gets itself in the right position.

Usually I have good luck finding info on the net. This time I can't seem to find anything. Not even a replacement part number.

A video of the problem...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K24gveAlrNQ

Last edited by PJmax; 08-13-17 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added video link

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: