Restaurant Cooking Exhaust System


Old 08-20-17, 12:44 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 16
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Restaurant Cooking Exhaust System

I'm in the process of looking at locations to open our first restaurant. I have a technical background with a strong understanding of construction, electrical, and so on, so many things needed, I can do myself. That said, when it comes to the exhaust system, I'm trying to decide whether I need to have a pro install it, or if it's within my means. This would depend on a few things.

1. The location I'm looking at does not currently have a kitchen exhaust system installed, but I've been told that it's been pre-plumbed for one. Since it's been pre-plumbed, would I still need a permit to install one, or is the permit for running the exhaust ducting itself, which has already been done?

2. Do the commercial kitchen exhaust systems include the fire suppression system as part of the unit, or are those an independent add on? I know they are independent from the building suppression system, as you would not want a water type suppression going off over a grease covered stove/fryers. Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-20-17, 01:44 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,581
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
All codes are local your questions are best answered by your inspector.

If you have gas appliances you also need make-up air coming in. Here they often install an evaporative cooler on the roof but no water connected. It is strictly to blow in make-up air.
Old 08-20-17, 01:56 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 61,398
Received 1,400 Votes on 1,297 Posts
When buying a new exhaust hood..... the suppression system.... usually Ansul .... is not included. The Ansul systems are very expensive so be sure to check into for associated costs.
Old 08-20-17, 04:52 PM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,524
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Not sure where you are located but restaurants are among the most heavily regulated businesses out there. At the beginning is a great time to get to now your local inspectors. Permits, licenses, building codes, and inspections are a must and it doesn't matter what direction we point you, it is, as Ray said, local codes rule.

Old 08-21-17, 12:11 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 16
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I also got some more local info as well as info on the restaurant location itself. Apparently, there used to be a system installed, but it was removed by a previous tenant (the visible part). The Make-up air and the exhaust equipment on the roof is still in place, as well as the lines going into the building. I have pictures of the equipment which is pretty massive. Apparently the line stops at a junction in the drop lid. So all I need is the line connecting the exhaust to this junction box and the actual exhaust box/ansul system. I'm assuming this setup requires hard ducting due to the heat coming off of the equipment, rather than soft ducting like you'd find on an HVAC system? Is there any grading requirement like in drainage of plumbing, or can I come off of this exhaust line with pipe that's 25 feet from the existing line. Also, since all of the roof work and so on is done, do I need permits to put in a replacement unit from the one that was moved, or can I just put it back in? I'm assuming if I put it back in where the old one was, the city wouldn't be the wise and wouldn't care, but if I physically locate the intake, I have to pull another permit?
Old 08-21-17, 07:51 AM
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,056
Received 111 Votes on 105 Posts
Those hoods require inspection and the fire systems have inspection certificates that must be current.
It would be unwise to do anything without a permit, or without at least notifying the local inspection office.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: